Berkey Water Filters

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Roasted Onion Dip (Homemade and Corn-Free)

I have always loved onion dip. You know, open the french onion soup mix packet and stir it into the sour cream and chill. Now that I know corn is a problem for us, I needed to come up with a new way of making onion dip. This is what I came up with and it is delicious. By the way, I was able to find all the ingredients at Kroger which is quickly becoming my go-to store for corn-free shopping. My local Kroger has more corn-free items than all the other stores in my area combined (including my tiny local food co-op). The store brands Naturally Preferred and Private Selection are proving to be very good brands for corn avoiders like us, too.

Roasted Onion Dip - Homemade and Corn Free

2 medium onions
1Tbsp. Pure Indian Foods ghee or Organic Valley butter
2 cups Daisy full fat sour cream
1 Tbsp. McCormick Organic onion powder

Dice and roast the onions. Coat the onions with the ghee and spread them in a pan. Roast in a 350 degree oven. I roasted them for 20 minutes, then stirred and roasted for 20 minutes. Continue until all are roasted but not burned. Let cool.

Stir roasted onions and onion powder into the sour cream. Chill. Enjoy.

You can serve this dip with Carr's Water Crackers or Kettle brand Lightly Salted Chips. Both are corn-free and available at Kroger. It's also nice with Bunny Luv carrot sticks, red pepper strips, broccoli or cauliflower florets, jicama, or homemade crispy crackers of your choice.

I would love to try this with mushrooms or roasted red peppers (maybe some cayenne pepper added in) or maybe a combination of several roasted vegetables for a brand new Roasted Vegetable Dip.

Take a look at Real Food Wednesdays for more great tips and recipes.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

11 comments:

  1. What a great idea for parties! My mom used to put a pan of chopped onions in the oven after every time she baked, to take advantage of the residual heat for drying. To this day, the smell of toasted onions can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am addicted to onions raw or cooked by any style or method. I had to make onion dip my first party recipe because I have been trying to figure out how I would do this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I'm going to have to try this! And soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, this looks like a GREAT way to avoid the crappy onion dips at the store - I can't wait to try this!

    Thanks for joining in on Real Food Wednesday!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally got a chance after the holidays to try this method with red and green peppers with onions. It was even better than before. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Struggling at the moment. I will publish a new post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised you don't react to Organic Valley's butter: they feed corn to their cows in the winter, it's on their website! And you recommend LeCreuset? You should know it has tested positive for lead. Your blog won't post my links so just google Debra's list lead free plates. When you find the correct page do a CRTL+F [you must use Firefox] and type in the box "Creuset" (without Le) & it will highlight the person who tested her LeCreuset for lead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anonymous, Thanks for the comments. I don't react to Organic Valley pastured butter in the green foil. I don't think I am sensitive enough to react according to what the animal is fed, but only to what is added to the food. For instance, I can eat Naturally Preferred free range eggs and I am sure that they are fed corn but no corn is used in the processing of the eggs. Neither of these products are ideal, but they are the only "no corn added" products we have available so we make do. I hate the idea of ingesting GMOs even second-hand, but I am afraid we would starve if we didn't eat these products for now.

    As for the Le Creuset, I went to the site you mentioned and could find nothing negative about Le Creuset. I have done a lot of research about cookware and can't find anything else that remotely approaches Le Creuset quality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kroger has become one of my top go-to stores as well. Their selection is more diverse than any of the other regular-grocery-store chains around here. I'm extra fortunate in that my Kroger is across the street from an Earthfare (a local Whole Foods-like chain). Between the two, I can pick up a lot of good food in one trip. ~However~, I get a sinus-like headache, particularly around my right eye, every time I shop at Kroger. It goes away not long after I leave the store. I don't know what's up with that at all. I did notice it happened at Food City, too, the one time I went in there recently. I don't know if it's a food product or a chemical they use to clean the stores or what, but ugh. I race through the Kroger part of my shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean. I was just posting on the forum the other day about fumes from popcorn in Home Depot. No one has come up with a socially acceptable way to hold one's nose in public. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete