Berkey Water Filters

Friday, September 10, 2010

GMO corn is everyone's problem!

I am painfully aware of the prevalence of GMO corn in the food system of America. This awareness is a necessary by-product of learning to live with a corn allergy. When I speak to people (even friends and family) of the problems that are caused by our dependence on GMO corn, I am met with an attitude of "That's something we don't have to worry about, luckily we aren't allergic like you are." I wish I could make people understand why it is a problem for our whole country right now and is on its way to becoming a problem for the whole world. I found this neat video that helps to explain why genetically modified foods are so bad. Enjoy:





I think all corn allergy sufferers should be active in the fight against genetically modified crops. Tell everyone you know to watch this ten minute video. There are feature length films and books out now that help to illuminate the problems we face because of our dependence on GMO corn. Here are links to my favorites:




If  you would like to know more but don't want to purchase any of these books or movies, you can rent most of them from your local library.  Also, doing a search on YouTube or Google will produce thousands of videos and articles. If you need help explaining the danger of GMOs to others, there is an excellent printable brochure by Jeffrey M. Smith on his website. He is the author of, "The Seeds of Deception" and a famous activist for safer food. He also has a blog on The Huffington Post site.

No matter how you choose to spread the word, the important thing is that you help in some way. Even if you just mention the dangers of GMO corn to a young mother picking out yogurt for her baby at the grocery store, it helps. The continued ignorance of the American public on this issue is the only thing that biotech giants have in their favor.

<3

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I've put a link to it on my blog.
    Starlene introduced me to your post on weight gain being a symptom and I've been hooked since.
    Thank you for focusing so intelligently on a such an important topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I love Starlene's blog, too. I have bookmarked your blog so I can read more later, but I already like what I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you posted about GMO corn as it is poison! I never had a problem with corn allergy until this crap was introduced in the food supply! I read this recently "In 2002, 34% of the corn grown in the United States (most of which was grown for the manufacture of corn syrup for human consumption) was genetically engineered. The most common variety of GE corn is Bt corn, a product of the Monsanto Corporation." I'll bet by now the majority of it is genetically modified. How frightening is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even worse is that all corn is mixed together into one big river of corn (except the tiny amount of certified organic corn) so corporations can claim ignorance on whether the corn products they use are genetically modified. I think this tactic is caused "plausible deniability". If you read Cheeseslave's condemnation of my post about GMOs in pasture raised meat, you'll see that the company that manufactures the lactic acid says, "it is possible that some of the corn that is used to make lactic acid is genetically modified". At this point the truth is more like, "it is possible that some of the corn that is used to make lactic acid is NOT genetically modified" (but improbable).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed all your posts are only anti-GMO people. Thought I'd see if you let another side be posted. Why is it you never show any science to back your claims? The other side has massive amounts of science behind them. What's so wrong with disease or drought resistant strains. A starving child needs to eat. Quite frankly I'm tired of your "the sky is falling" mentality. Pass me the corn flakes (Kelloggs please).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, Most of the global research which has been used to demonstrate the safety of GM crops has been funded by the industry itself. The fact is that every other industrialized nation in the world has banned unlabeled GMOs except for the United States where there is big money to be made on subsidized GMO crops and food additive manufacturing. It's impossible for a logical, intelligent person who does their own research to be convinced that GMOs are beneficial or harmless.

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1388888/GM-food-toxins-blood-93-unborn-babies.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic article, thank you for this. The video was eye-opening and everyone should watch this to understand what is being done to our food supply and how the public is being deceived.

    Thanks for sharing your food journey and insights in this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert, I appreciate the kind words. I hope more people will start to pay attention to what is going on right under their noses (literally!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this information. I look forward to reading both sides to try to get a knowledge base. I recently found that one of my highly allergic children, who has been very sick for 3 1/2 years, is allergic to "all" but 2 fruits, and "all" but a hand full of vegetables,nuts,legumes,grains,seeds,yeast, corn,.... and am desperate to know why.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anon, I'm researching a link between certain B vitamin deficiencies (and how to correct them with a corn allergy) and heightened sensitivities/increased allergies right now. I feel like it is a vicious cycle of nutrient malabsorption from allergic reactions and nutrient deficiencies causing more allergies......I wish someone would figure all this out for us. Like a doctor, perhaps.......

    ReplyDelete